Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

2003 ford excursion changed master cylinder and bled the

Customer Question

2003 ford excursion changed master cylinder and bled the brake system but believe the the abs needs to opened up in order to bleed properly. everytime i bleed with a pressure bleeder then they work great for half a mile and then the pedal goes to floor and brakes still work but they pedal comes back up very strange. I have palmer performance scan xl pro with the ford enhanced package which as the ability to send the commands in script or in obdII format. I just can't find the command for the life of me anywhere on the internet and I have emailed their customer service but haven't heard back. The guy buying the car already has traded me the other car so he has been very nice but would really like to pick up asap
Category: Ford
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 1 year ago.

Hello. does your excursion have hydro boost? what engine is in it?

Did you bench bleed the master cylinder before installing it? If you believe that your abs hydraulic control unit has air in it, it will need to be bled using a scan tool with automated brake bleeding capability for your truck. The scan tool will walk you through it. We use a modis, but there are qute a few that will do it. If you'd like, I can email you the bleeding procedure for your truck.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I have know idea what the hell is wrong with my computer but it wouldn't let me respond
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
6.0 powerstroke
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am unsure if it has hydro boost or not but I read factory service manual and bleed standard calipers correctly
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have the scan tool software and can hook up laptop but it will send commands I just don't know what command to send in order to open abs
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I didn't bench bleed new master cylinder

Ok. When you installed the new master cylinder, if you didn't bench bleed it, you probably do have air in your hydraulic control unit and will need an automated bleed. The automated bleed procedure is part of the program in your scan tool if it's supported. you would select your vehicle, and select automated bleed and it would instruct you to open a particular bleeder screw, then press the button, etc. If your not seeing automated abs bleed in your scan tool, then it's likely not supported. It has to be a bi directional scan tool in order to do it. they are pretty expensive. ours was 10k

although im sure there are less expensive ones out there

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
mine was expensive but from what the service manual says I should be able to command abs pump open and then have vacuum bleeder each wheel so it is fixed

I will open the question up then in the event that someone here has the command for your scan tool. I would think the command would already be programmed in your scan tool.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah it is kinda weird the way it works it is able to be used with custom commands
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Different tech here, do you still need help?