mike
mike, Ford Technician
Experience:  34 years in vehicle repair & diagnostics
9261905

Ihave 02 focus with abs & stabilitrac, abs n brake lights

Customer Question

hi ihave 02 focus with abs & stabilitrac, abs n brake lights are on at all times, Stabilitrac light won't come on at egnition and button won'trespond . brakes are kind of weak but pedal feels fine. i checked wheel sensors egnition on and when wheel turned i get .48 ac volts on all 4. mechanic got code b1432. is it bad pump or it still coud be something else? one note: previous owner had mismatched tire sizes but now all same
Category: Ford
Expert:  mike replied 1 year ago.

Hello and Welcome -

My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help / advise.

As you say the brake lights are on all the time - this can point to an overal switch fault in the system - the brake light switch.. that is often the clue with this type of fault.

I would suggest to change the brake light switch for a new one and then clear the fault code - see if that cures this all for you..its certainly the place to start.

Let me know how you go..and / or let me know if you need anything further on this..

~>>~~>>~ Meanwhile now at this point- Please do click on the "Exc / Ok rating" for me at this time.. "Thank you" in advance for that .

.. Note that you can get back to me anytime at all after doing the rating - it doesn't close you out --

Best Rgds, MIKE

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is that the parking brake switch? what about the abs light? thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they are the warning lights not the taillights. thanks
Expert:  mike replied 1 year ago.

Hi again - Thank you for your reply -

There is a park brake switch but it wont be that .

The switch is the brake switch - located above / back of the brake pedal.. if you go under the dash to the pedals - you will see it there.. its easy to change and they are not expensive.

The brake switch works both the rear brake lights ( not the tail lights ) -and links to the Ecm/ pcm.. if there is a fault with the brake switch that will cause issues. I was thinking you said the brake lights were on all the time which is why I said re the switch - If so, go for that - if not - dont - not unless you get a fault code for it.

If you have the ABS fault light on - there has to be a fault code in the system for that - ( and the stabiliser system ).. I note you have the B1432 code. On some of the Fords, this is actually an air bag system code..but on some it does refer to braking system issues. I would have it re read with Ford equipment to be sure of what you have. As the Abs / Tcs system fault light is on, then there is a fault in there- you just need to be sure of the correct code.

The problem usually then lies with the Abs system pump / modulator.

I would suggest sending this for test / repair - but first make contact with a specialist who can do this type of work... I dont know where you are exactly but there is a company called bba-man. If you google that - or go to that website - www.bba-reman - you can select the country you are in on the site - then contact them.. They are considerably cheaper for to repair these units than a replacement .. and again - they fully test them first.

Given the issue you have, I would suggest that then now as your next step.

-I sincerely ***** ***** helps you further.

Please do clock on the OK / exc ratings for me at this point - Thank you again - and again, you can get back to me anytime you may need -

Best Rgds, MIKE.