Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

I have a F150 5.7L 1992. I have an intermittent check engine

Customer Question

I have a F150 5.7L 1992. I have an intermittent check engine light. When the light comes on the engine idle varies up and down and I hear a click each time the rev changes. The light will come on every time I start it and if I dont wait until the engine is showing warm on the temp gauge it will stall when I put it in gear. It is then very, very hard to start.I cant scan for a code as it is pre 1996 and the flashing light scanners for this year pinpoint a system rather than a component. What component is most likely causing this problem?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

I would start first with cleaning the IAC (idle air control valve) located on the throttle body as well as making sure the EGR valve does not have vacuum to it with the engine at idle. If after doing both and the problem remains then the system is going to need to be scanned and the fault code and or codes retrieved to determine what is causing the problem you are having. Ti=his will require a scan code that can access the OBD I system.