James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

How can you tell if your PCM is going bad? I have an '05

Customer Question

How can you tell if your PCM is going bad? I have an '05 F250 Diesel acting up while driving or accelerating. RPM gauge flickers irradicly. Keeps giving me a DTC 148 code for fuel delivery issue, and a cam position and a crank position sensor interference code. Change the fuel filters. No help. Now it seems the alternator is charging only intermittently also.
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

The PCM didn't fail a lot of this vehicle. It sounds like you have a failing frame mounted fuel pump. The alternator charging only sometimes is common of an alternator failure on this particular vehicle.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hmmmm? Interesting, because sometimes that pump sounds funny, or sluggish when you first turn on the key and wait for the glow plug light to go off. So I should change it first you think?
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

I would change the pump for sure. Once that is done I would have the alternator tested by a VAT 40 to see if the diodes are bad. Usually the internal diodes fail