Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years experience on all makes and models, Licensed NYS Inspector.
2921078

I have a "Check Fuel Cap" light that came on

Customer Question

I have a "Check Fuel Cap" light that came on yesterday while driving on a 2001 Ford Escort SE, 2.0L. I tried replacing it and the light will not go out. What else could cause this and how can I reset the light? I have no apparent drivability issues.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

HI there,

The car has to go through several running cycles for the light to go out on it's own. You can clear the code using a code reader. Some parts stores will do this for you at no charge depending on where you live. You can also drive the car and if it's the problem the light will eventually go out on it's own. I do not suggest disconnecting the battery. It can cause drivability issues so you are actually better off driving with the light on then disconnecting the battery. This will not damage the car to drive this way.

Another thing that can cause this light is the vent control solenoid. This will leave the system open and make the car think the gas cap is off.

Please let me know if there is any more I can do to help you from here.

What happens next:
Just Answer will now charge you for the full amount of your question.
My goal is to provide you with 5-star service. If you cannot rate me at least 3-5 stars, we will keep working on this.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and effort; you do with a 3-5 star rating.
Follow up questions are included in your question price even after rating.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where about is the vent control solenoid located, is it on the canister or near the fuel tank?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

It's located under the car attached to the canister. This should be the only electrical connection right there.

Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?