Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

03 Ford Taurus dome light stays on with all the door shut it

Customer Question

03 Ford Taurus dome light stays on with all the door shut it is a wagon
Category: Ford
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** is either caused by a bad door switch, or the switch on the dash is moved over to the dome light position, have you checked the switch yet?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I made sure switch was off it does show 4 doors open on dash
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

It shows that all 4 doors are open on the dash???

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it does also code b1790 and b1318
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

Ok, the B1318 is a low voltage code, and can cause different modules to malfunction, have you checked the voltage at the battery when its running, and also when the engine is off?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Battery is a little low but running is 14.2 battery low because of dome light staying on but it's been running 15 min and I had changed starter on car and it didn't need to be jump
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

how low is it with the engine off? If it drops below 10.5 volts, then this code will set, have you load tested the battery?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No only by cranking with headlights on
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

I would first load teat the battery, if its shows good, then suspect the GEM is bad, generic electric module, the GEm controls the dome lights, and if bad, can set both of these codes,Tim

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

it wont be a switch problem, if all 4 doors show open, its either going to be a bad battery, or the GEM is bad,Tim

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK one thing that did happen when I disconnected the battery or the starter and put everything back together a light was off and then come back on till I open the door and it stayed on after that OK one thing that did happen when I disconnected the battery or the starter and put everything back together a light was off and then come back on till I open the door and it stayed on after that
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

did you load test the battery??

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no i don't have a way to do that

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

younwill have to do that first, most parts houses like autozone, and Oriellys will do that for free, if the battery checks out good, then its going to be a bad GEM,Tim

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Checking that today will be in touch
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

Let me know, if the battery checks good, then you will need a GEM,Tim

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Waiting on friend getting battery tested
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They finaly got it checked battery is fine the previous owner said that a year ago the passenger door lock clicked and then it stopped and then some light never came on after it quit clicking but now it is staying on all the time and dash light is on for door open shows all 4 doors
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hello Tim

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

Then you most likely hav a bad GEM, as the GEM also controls the locks,Tim

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

any testing

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

Not eally, you can check the inputs to the GEM from the door switches, But I seriously doubt all 4 switches are bad, and that would not effect the door locks, the GEM is the only common component in this, if it were a bad instrument cluster, that would also not effect the door locks, nor would it keep the dome light on,Tim

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you tell me how to test that module
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

You will need a scanner to communicate with the GEM, to manually switch on/off the dome light and to read the inputs from the door switches,Tim

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a access to a Snapon solus edge will that work