Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

My 2001 E-350 van recently suffered a broken serpentine belt

Customer Question

My 2001 E-350 van recently suffered a broken serpentine belt and cracked radiator while on a trip and a service station repaired the radiator and replaced the belt then added coolant. We resumed our trip home and I immediately noticed that my fuel consumption was a lot higher than normal. When I got home I checked it again after several days and confirmed that my fuel consumption was much higher than normal. I've heard before that a faulty thermostat or temp sensor could cause the injection system to allow more gas since the computer thinks the engine hasn't reached operating temperature. Given the fact that it happen immediately after the issue with the cooling system do you think this logic is sound or might their be other reasons to explore.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

If the thermostat was over heated when you had the problem with the radiator then its likely needs to be replaced. if its does not open and close properly it will cause the computer to keep the computer system in closed loop longer then it should which can and does affect the fuel economy. It is always a good idea to replace it after having cooling system worked performed for that reason. Its not likely you have a problem with the coolant temp sensor so I would go ahead and replace the thermostat and bleed and refile the system, after doing so, remove the negative battery cable for a few minutes to reset the computer fuel trim reading and you should be fine.

You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Please consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 5AM eastern time and work all day . A rating is required. Your rating me , and what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor do I have control over the fees or the time it takes to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all ,you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short

Thank you, Ron