Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic
2617050

I'm having a lot of trouble with my 1986 Ford Bronco to it

Customer Question

I'm having a lot of trouble with my 1986 Ford Bronco to it coughs and sputters and kind of bug and loses all power we changed the fuel pump fuel filter injectors I took the gas tank off and its clean what else could it be
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It feels like it is being starved of gas and eventually it dies and then you can't get it started again for 15 or 20 minutes then it'll start go maybe half a mile and start button and coughing and sputtering again and then it does like that almost sounds like an internal backfire and it dies
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Bucking and coughing and sputtering
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If it helps it is a 2.9 engine and it's a four wheel drive
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.

After it stalls and will not restart does it have spark?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it just won't tturn over and when you push on the Schrader valve yet just got gas so there's no air in the line
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 1 year ago.

Hi, just because you see some gas doesnt mean it has enough fuel pressure though.

Connect a fuel pressure gauge and tell me what the pressure reading is when trying to start it please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here's the pr my husbandtaken the gas tank out so it can't be started rig right now I was just kind of wondering if you could think of anything besdes the things that I've mentioned that to be causing it to

He needs to check first for spark at the plugs when trying to start it. If its getting gas but no spark, it wont start. Let me know after that has been checked.