Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician
3195632

1998 4.6 lights dim, radio goes to static, tach goes, etc.

Customer Question

1998 4.6 lights dim, radio goes to static, tach goes nuts, etc.
what the hell is going on
Category: Ford
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question.
This could be a faulty tachometer, short in the tach wiring, which can cause radio static, or other issue, depending upon what the "etc" means.
Unfortunately with wiring issues, it has to have hands on diagnostic testing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Eric - thanks for the reply. I should not have put etc., it means nothing to you.
radio static, tach jumping up and then dropping, engine on edge of dying and then dying, headlights dim and then go out come on go out.
any other suggestions I can take to ford to get car running. they are reluctant to work because they have no idea and can not give me a cost. they want the car when engine is "acting up" and when I get it to them it is running fine.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
Ok, get me the 17 digit vin number and I will check the schematics to see if there is common denominator