A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

I have a clunking noise in the center of the dash when I

Customer Question

I have a clunking noise in the center of the dash when I turn on the key and it is NOT a blend sensor. I replaced the driver side which I thought was the culprit (boy was that a job) still there, then unplugged all three and it still clunks when I turn to on position with all three blend sensors unplugged (not a zoned climate control) What other possibilities? Frustrated in Dallas!
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Is the noise a single clunk when you turn it on or is a constant clunking noise or popping noise?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is with all 3 blend motors unplugged, sounds like 8 or 9 clunks, I guess you could say popping sound.. The file attached is a zip since I could not upload a mov file off my iphone so hopefully you can view.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Ok. That is a door actuator motor making the noise. The Mustang has 4 mode door motors. One on the drivers side and three on the passenger side behind the glove box.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I thought my vehicle had 3 since it is a non climate control vehicle. I replaced the driver side. I found that one and one directly opposite that one on the plenum and one right by the glove box. The video has all three unplugged. Where is the fourth one located? Do you have a diagram of their loactions?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK Thank you. I found it. It is the one all the way at the top on passenger side. Unplugged it and noise went away. Last question, does it require a sync process once they are replaced and plugged back in or are they self-synchronized? I appreciate the help!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I plugged it back in and the noise went away. Thinking back, it started when I replaced the battery. The Mustang sits a lot, 15k miles on a 2007. Could it have just needed to reset or do you recommend I replace. Thanks again!
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

It is possible the battery disconnect caused it. Drive it a while and listen for it to come back. If it does, replace the actuator. Then operate it back and forth by the switches for the AC mode selector. It will relearn.