roy
roy, import/domestic specialest
Experience:  ASE master tech for 40 years
3506196

My 87 ford ranger with 2.9L V6 will not start. It will turn

Customer Question

My 87 ford ranger with 2.9L V6 will not start. It will turn over and that's it. We thought it was the high pressure fuel pump so we replaced it and still the same. We replaced the fuel pump relay cause it was clicking and still the same as well. Any suggestions to what else we should check?
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
FYI it started just fine before we rebuilt the transmission(automatic).
Expert:  roy replied 1 year ago.

good morning my name is ***** ***** I will assist

first, check to see if it has spark by removing the coil wire and set it close to a ground and crank the motor. you should see a good snap.

Roy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has spark. The engine will turn over, but it will not start. The fuel pump does have the whiring sound when you turn the key to the on position. Check wires to HP fuel pump and there was no power. Replaced FP and FP Relay.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We tried to direct wire the old FP to the battery and you could here the whiring sound, but the wires we used burnt up(16 Gage) we thought the wire was not big enough so we changed it to a 12 gage and it burnt up the toggle switch and the wires got really hot.
Expert:  roy replied 1 year ago.

ok, you need to start by replacing all the burnt wires you created. lets try to get the system back to its normal state.

if you spray carb cleaner into the air filter, will it start and die??

Roy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We tried starter fluid and it did not start. All original wires are there, did not burn those up, we used new wire we bought from napa.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can a broken fuel cut off switch cause the problem?
Expert:  roy replied 1 year ago.

if you mean inertia switch, yes but it should have run with carb cleaner in the air filter

Roy

Expert:  roy replied 1 year ago.

how are you making out