A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

I aquired a 2001 ranger edge at auction with no key.

Customer Question

I aquired a 2001 ranger edge at auction with no key. Replaced lock cylinder and had locksmith program a new key but it still does not crank. I have hand cranked the motor so I know it is not locked up. Checked ignition switch resistance and all checks out there. Not getting power at starter solenoid and the starter and fuel pump relays are not clicking when key is turned to run. Only pcm relay clicks. Any assistance would be appreciated. Seems like pats is still engaged even th ought theft light goes out after 3sec.
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

You need two keys minimum programed to the vehicle for it to start. I you only have one, it will not start. You will need to get a second key cut and programed to the vehicle. Both keys will need to be programed at the same time.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There were already 3 keys in the pcm memory. The locksmith just added a fourth.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

So you have 4 keys that now fit the ignition cylinder that is now in the vehicle?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I technically only have one key but the system has four now in its memory. The locksmith did not erase the memory on the pcm he just added an additional key to the memory.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Ok, that will not work with the PATS system. He will need to erase all the keys, make one more key and program the 2 new keys at the same time.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

See if he can also clear all the trouble codes in the PCM after he does that.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah I already did that with Chinese focom. Unfortunately it kept timing out on security unlock to pcm hence the 200 dollar locksmith charge.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Ok.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Talked to the locksmith and he said he does them all the time by just adding a key. He's coming out tomorrow to wipe pcm memory and add th e keys new. If it works than no charge otherwise another 150.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Have him check for trouble codes before he wipes anything.