A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

I have a 99 ranger that I cannot start because the theft

Customer Question

I have a 99 ranger that I cannot start because the theft light is blinking and it won't attempt to even turn over..help!!!
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Is the theft light flashing rapidly when you try to start it and how many keys do you have for the truck?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Only one key,and yes,it flashes rapidly.... I just received this truck due to a family death, and I know very little about it
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

You have an issue with the PATS security system which uses a chip in the key to allow the vehicle to start. You will need to have the vehicle scanned for trouble codes which will lead us to a starting point for the cause of the problem. Usually it is the key, but since you only have one key, you will need to get 2 new keys and have them both programmed. Mobile lock smiths can do this for you. You do not have to go to a dealership to have this done.