James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

I have a 1997 E350 v10 Ford Van that is throwing codes 401

Customer Question

I have a 1997 E350 v10 Ford Van that is throwing codes 401 and 402 codes on the ODBII scanner. Is this something rather uncompllicated to resolve by simply replacement of an EGR valvue, or does it require further testing? I have read about the system basically having three parts: the EGR valve, an actuator solenoid, and a differential pressure sensor EGR (DPFE). How do I tell which is the culprit or is it something else?
Thank you.
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

Hello, it is very common for the DPFE sensor to fail. If it is aluminum I would replace it with the updated plastic one. Once that is done if the concern still exists I would replace the EGR valve to correct the rest of the concern. Once it's done you disconnect the battery for ten minutes to reset everything. The vehicle should be repaired.

Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.