Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

I have a 2003 Ford Focus se 2.0 I just bought from my

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Ford Focus se 2.0 I just bought from my daughter in law. She said she drove the car and it drove as usual but when she came back out to start it did not want to start, when it did it was idling irratic. When I got the car I checked to see if it fired differently if I unplugged each plug, which it did. I just got a scanner today and hooked it up and it gave me misfire codes but I assume that was from me doing what I did. I cleared the codes and the car has been running for the past 30 minutes and no new codes have popped up. Does it take driving the car after a code reset to flash new codes?
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just checked for codes again and it gave me P0316,P0300,P0301,P0302 and P0304.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
These are the same codes as the first time I checked the codes.
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

After code reset or battery disconnect. You must start and drive the vehicle 5 times and the issue occur for a code to store. If its a hard code it will set often within 15 minutes of running or if the issues effects emissions. You are correct, the steps you did, did cause all those codes.

Since your getting mainly misfire codes and the vehicle is new to you. Can you first off check the plugs and wires and replace them if needed.

Next will be checking the fuel pressure, trying injector cleaner and monitoring the crank and cam sensor readings.

You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I installed new Bosch platinum plugs. I just pulled the plugs and found the number four plug shows no signs of combustion, (it is wet with gas, no discoloration of the plug whatsoever). The others have signs of combustion, carbon discoloring.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The wire is sending a hard spark to the plug. I pulled the plug and tested outside the cylinder for a spark and it is firing strong. You think this may be a valve problem on cylinder 4?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I do a compression test on all cylinders?

A test on all cylinders dry and wet would be a good idea so you know more about the inside of the engine, but at the least on the effected cylinder and the one next to it.