A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

About a month ago I was driving our 2005 F-150, had several

Customer Question

About a month ago I was driving our 2005 F-150, had several errands, so had to shut of and restart several times. It was quite hot out, about 95 degrees, so I was running the A/C. All seemed fine. Then, encountered an accident and traffic was just stopped, not moving at all. Was first stopped for about 5 minutes. Didn't put it park, just used the brake. When traffic began movin again, I could tell that the truck didn't want to go, but with traffic only moving about 10-15 mph, I couldn't really tell. We get stopped again, this time for at least 10 minutes. I turned off the A/C and opened the windows feeling that there was an issue. So, when traffic opens back up again, when I step on the gas, I can tell there is no power. I got the truck to 45 mph and it would not go higher. As I was trying to get to the off ramp, the temperature gauge shot up, not slowly, but shot straight to hot. After I pulled off the road, I shut the truck off. There was no steam or anything coming from the hood and no leakage of any kind under the truck. After it had sat for 45 minutes, opened the hood and it appeared that the coolant levels, etc. were fine. My husband started it up and brought it home. Everything ran normally. He has since taken it as much as 30 miles round-trip and everything works normally, even with A/C running. Other than an airbag light has recently come on. Could this have been a one-time incident based on the outside temperature and the sitting stopped in traffic? Or, is it a bigger issue? We need to pull our boat home this weekend, going about 325 miles round-trip to do so and I am afraid we will end up stuck somewhere. Thanks for your input.
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

With no coolant leaks, and it only happened once, that is hard to tell. Try and see if there are any trouble codes in the PCM (Engine Computer). If you do not own a code reader, any auto parts store can check for trouble codes for free. Let me know if there are any codes and post them on this page.