Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

I've had problems when it's cool I have to really ram down

Customer Question

I've had problems when it's cool I have to really ram down on steering wheel for lites to come on well today I went to hit the horn and all gauges went dead I disconnected both NEW batteries to reset system but when I turn key on it's like athe celenoid just clicks! So I checked fuses all good then when things cool down I turned key and al guGesax then go to normal then it clicks I removed fuse cover and white box on bottom of column is buzzing after I let go of key but I tapped it stopped I rapped it harder and idiot lites flashing truck won't start I call this an ECM I think this is why my truck won't start now
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

If the white box on the steering column, looks like the image in the file below.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/02ignitionswitch.pdf

Then that is the ignition switch which changes the key movement to electrical signals to many circuits. Your info so far is pointing to the ignition switch bad or there is wiring issues to it at the connector or the linkage between the ignition switch and the key cylinder is sticking or broken.

You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.

Thanks Chris