Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

Rj. i have an 08 6.4 that we replaced the engine and

Customer Question

hey rj. i have an 08 6.4 that we replaced the engine and transmission in. everything is back together and i am trying to start it. i believe air in the fuel is my issue. i installed the fass system with all new lines, new filters and caps, all new fuel lines throughout including injector lines. i made the banjo bleeder tool. so i install bleeder tool on rear line, power up fuel pump, wait for all fuel from line with no air, start truck, long crank period then starts and runs 20 seconds, while it is running i have all air bubbles from fuel tool and engine stalls. i have tried the procedure with and with out tool installed. any ideas
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

Hello, it sounds like the frame mounted fuel pump isn't any good. It sounds like it can't keep up with the volume needed.

Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Put your gauge/ fuel bleed off at the electric pump and check there. If it is still aerated, check for the primary filter not being installed correctly, not seated all the way, or a possible incorrect fuel filter. If it is not aerated at the electric pump, then reconnect the system, block off one head at a time and recheck the aeration. If either head is blocked off and the concern is gone, suspect an injector or injector o-ring issue. If neither head blocked off does not remove the aeration then the high pressure pump is bad.

You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Chris for your response I have gone over every fuel line and the factory fuel filter housing on top of the engine. I replaced the fuel filter and the cap as a precaution and As stated I installed a fass fuel pump assuming that my factory fuel pump was not keeping up. I did drive the truck in before engine replacement and even though number eight cylinder was melted the truck ran good. It does still have the factory high-pressure pump installed on the Jasper Longblock as well as factory fuel rails. I checked for air at the fass pump and I don't see any air there so I am just not sure if there is an air pocket trapped in the high-pressure pump or if there is something introducing air to the system. If there was air in the high-pressure pump how long with the vehicle have to run in order to bleed the air out? And also what is your method of blocking off each head individually?

I remove the fuel line and put caps on it it block it off. If the engine will start and run. If there are no sources causing aeration, then it would auto purge out the air pockets in about 2 minutes of run time on its own.