Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

Looking at my brother in laws F150 1988 and we keep having

Customer Question

Looking at my brother in laws F150 1988 and we keep having wiring problems with the alternator harness. Previous owner had added a heavy duty alternator. Found a broken wire, repaired it and it charged off the new alternator for about 2 short trips in town and then it won't charge anymore. Alternator seems ok.
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there somewhere I can get a new wiring harness to the alternator and relay and just replace it all?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

In order to determine why the alternator is not charging the first thing you are going to need to do is take your 12 volt test light and or a volt meter and at the alternator with the engine running check and see if you have battery voltage at the connector on the alternator on the two black/orange wires as well as the yellow/white wire and the green/red wire. Check this for me and post back with the results and we can work from there to get this resolved for you.