James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

Remote start doesn't work. Factory Ford remote start.

Customer Question

Remote start doesn't work. Factory Ford remote start. Attempts to start then get 3 horn beeps. Everything inside still works but truck won't start. 2010 f150 platinum
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

Hello, three beeps indicates a door is open. When you activate a remote start you should see no dome lights on. If a dome light is on it will beep three times thinking the door is open.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no dome lights on. However when the door is open it will still attempt to start. Just noticed this last night.
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

If you open the door does the remote start actually start the vehicle?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. It gives me the same three beeps.
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

If you turn on the dome light will it start?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it doesn't start with the dome light on. Is there anyway to override the door sensor thing? Seems like that would solve the problem.
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

Yes you can. The wire color is green with a violet stripe. It will be coming out of the remote start module under the dash. That is going to be the easiest way to do this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is the best way to disconnect it to cut it? It's not controlling anything else??
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

I would just cut the wire and tape it off. It only is designed to tell the remote start if a door is open or not.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cut the wire and now get four horn chirps. Looked in manual and it says tach not set. See dealer. Anyway to reset this without goin to dealer. It's a hassle and a long wait to get in. P/N for starter is aw3j-19g367-aa.
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

You cut the green wire with violet correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Correct
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

This vehicle should be programmed to tactless mode. It's possible if that is the next beeping that the programming was changed somehow.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do I do to reprogram it? I have the manual there but it is pretty confusing. Lots of rmst and rkst and other abbreviations. Not sure what they all mean and which one I should choose.
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

This is a single button remote start correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/ford_content/catalog/accessory_files/Ford%20Programming%20Instructions.pdf

Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

This link shows the programming procedures you need. You need to program the tactless mode so it says yes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no option to program tach. I tried everything in the manual and I still get 4 chirps.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any other suggestions? No option to program the tach according to the manual.
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

Did you read the link I posted? You need to go into programming mode. The faceless mode is bank 2 option one.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did. But the link also shows that in that option bank two option 1 the led doesn't show anything. When I followed the procedure it still doesn't start. I tried the brake and the program button as well as pushing the brake and starting the truck. I also saw that it said the horn would honk every 3 seconds of it is learning. I never had anything. I did try to start with a mykey key. Don't know if that may make a difference.
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

When you go into programming mode the key is in the on position with your foot on the brake and the hood open. Press button and brake for ten seconds it will beep three times. Next press the button it will beep 4 times. Press again 5 beeps is bank two. Press and release the brake it will beep once. Press the remote start button and the LED will change. This is tactless mode.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Finally works! Thank you. I will rate your answers now. Thanks again for all your help!!
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

Great I'm glad t works.