Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

I was headed from butte mt to glendive mt in my 04 ford

Customer Question

I was headed from butte mt to glendive mt in my 04 ford explorer. And all of a sudden it died at 70 mi/hr. It's like it lost fuel going down the road. The check fuel cap light has come on for the last weak. I don't know but the guy at the tire shop says it must be internal. I just think the inertia switch or fuel pump or filter went out
Category: Ford
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.I apologize for any delay.

Most common to fail on this model and cause this issue here is the fuel pump itself.I have had to replace several of these fuel pumps in the past to correct this fault here.What will need to be done is to have the fuel pressure tested with a fuel pressure test gauge.If there is no or very little pressure the pumps power and ground signals need tested to verify this is the pump itself.I suspect it will be.If you want more info on how to test this for pressure specifications and power and ground signals let me know and I can post this info here.In allot of cases you can tell it's the fuel pump by when you first turn on the key if you do not hear the hum or buzz noise from the fuel tank area as this will usually tell you the pump is out needing replaced.Like I said though if you need info on how to test this for sure let me know.If the tire shop cannot or will not test this I would have another facility do this testing for you.Always happy to help a customer in need and in this case one that is located in my own state.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Thanks Pete.