Cardoctor71
Cardoctor71, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  MasterCertified Technician with 35 years experience, Owner of two full service repair facilities
36867192

Have an 89 ford ranger 2.3 the number 2 cylinder has weak

Customer Question

hi have an 89 ford ranger 2.3 the number 2 cylinder has weak spark i have replaced plugs, wires,coil,icm,still have weak spark the other cylinders will shoot spark 3 to 4 inches to ground but number 2 will only shoot spark to ground from 1/2 inch. this all started after replacing fuel injectors trhanks
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Does this have 2 coil packs?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Actually 4 coil packs, 2 on each bank?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

You only mentioned replacing a coil, nothing about coil packs.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Included are instructions for testing those coil packs.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it has two coils or coil packs the coul pack on exhaust side is the one thsat has weak spark on number two cylinder the coul pack on intake side is working fine and I've replaced exhast side coil pack with four new coil packs .
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

I don't know what to tell you. I am not that familiar with this type of ignition. Perhaps I should just opt out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok is there someone else that would give it a go
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is ther someone else
Expert:  Cardoctor71 replied 1 year ago.

I will try to help you, at this point you need to check for proper grounding of the circuits for the exhaust coil pack, it is some what odd it is only the #2 cylinder on that coil pack that has an issue,indicating the possibility of a defective brand new coil. In 89 the exhaust coil pack was strictly to clean up the emissions from the tailpipe and has no effect on how the engine runs, that was the job of the coil pack on the intake side. these coils were all four coils in one coil pack , so i don't understand how you replaced all four new coils. Please rate my service a 3 or above ,if for some reason you can not, please ask me another question, i will continue to answer your questions even after you rate my service until you are satisfied with my answers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
According to all my research it is just th opposite exhaust side starts and runs engine and intake side does the clean up for emissions truck will run with plug wires on intake side unplugged
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replaced the exhaust side coil pack 4 times with new pack each time

You are correct ,except it is just a matter of positioning Ford chose to use , the exhaust clean up plugs coil pack is mounted on the intake side of the engine, and vice versa, if after all the coil replacements gave you the same result from coil on plug #2 then your issue is in the wiring most likely the ground or a defective wire only carrying half the desired voltage, only way to identify which wire will be old school methods of checking the wires individually with a volt ohm meter, with the battery disconnected. Ohm each wire individually until you find the one wire with excessive ohms.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ohmed outwires going to coil pack that triggers spark to the towers for 2+3 and 1+4 ohmed at .5 both of them checked the other coil pack on drivers side they ohmed the same .5