Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician
Experience:  ASE, NATEF Engines and Electrical certified, EPA 608/609
9290743

P1211 code on a 2001 7.3 watching ipr valve go over 40% duty

Customer Question

p1211 code on a 2001 7.3
watching ipr valve go over 40% duty cycle and ICP only reaches 1800-2000 psi on WOT. not getting enough oil pressure? Could IDM be bad? have had a code for it every once in a while.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.

p1211 is ICP above/below desired. This code doesn't relate to the IDM. Intermittent IDM could be related to overcranking or voltage issues. I've see IDM codes also come up due to bad injector harness on the engine. So check the harness over well.

You mentioned you did or rings on the injectors, Did you do them on the stand tubes as well? If you are getting the correct HPOP pressure showing with a manual gauge, then look at the ICP sensor and harness. There could be an issue with the ICP sensor. Now if you are truly only getting 2000 psi on open WOT, then there is still a seal issue or oil leak in the engine.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see,
touch, smell, hear, or taste the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

The system DOES NOT automatically give me credit from your deposit. A rating is REQUIRED. You are rating me for the information I provide,
not the website. I have no control over the site fees, site errors, category errors, or how long it took for a response for these reasons.

I am not an employee of this website, so please rate with a POSITIVE (green) rating for me to get credit for assisting you. You still pay
the website for negatives or by not rating at all. I just get nothing from that payment you made. So please rate each answer I provide.

I want you pleased with my service to you so please inform me before rating negative (red) and I will do my best to make it right. Follow
ups for same question are always free after ratings have been made.

I do have many workshop manuals, diagrams, etc that I pay to get access to out of my pocket. If one is needed, please ask and I will give
you an offer at my technician discounted cost to you for such manuals. I never charge above that cost.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Stand tubes? Where are they located?
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

They are in the engine. Stand pipe/tubes. Same thing. They are on the rail when you did the o-rings.

The look like the. CLICK HERE

Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

If those o-rings were not done, they will bleed off.

I have also had new injectors bleed the oil pressure off because they didn't have the copper rings in the top. Aftermarket injectors are famous for that issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where are the tubes at? I have only seen them in a 6.0
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

Shoot. I got this swapped with another question I was working on that had similar issue on the 6L.

KE15 CONTINUOUS DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE (DTC) p1211

• DTC P1211 indicates that injection control pressure was above or below desired level under normal driving conditions.
  • Possible causes:
    • incorrect oil or viscosity
    • poor oil quality
    • gel fuel/no fuel
    • low fuel pressure
    • damaged IPR valve
    • high-pressure oil system leak
    • damaged high-pressure oil pump
    • damaged PCM
  • Verify correct oil quality/viscosity and correct fuel grade are being used for the temperature conditions.

Start with baby steps. Did you change the oil? What is your fuel pressure reading? Were the filters changed? You already did the IPR valve. Have you put a manual gauge on the vehicle to see if the reading is accurate?

Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

With a new HPOP, on the highway, you should be floating at around 2200-2400 psi. 2800 tops. At 2000 or below to say around 1800 or even 1600 based on my experiences, it usually means there is oil still dropping off somewhere in the injector rail or the injectors itself. This is why I always pop tests injectors.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Changing oil I'll get back to you
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

Ok. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok changed oil at idle check engine light is on
1500 RPM light goes out.
Have p1631 for IDM
P1231 under wot.
Truck runs great but idle is kinda rough
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Getting more psi under wot 2400psi
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Changed oil and filter today 15qts
New ipr valve
60 psi on fuel pressure
Had 2000 psi now 2400 psi with oil changed
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

P1231 High Speed Fuel Pump Relay Activated
- Faulty High Speed Fuel Pump

- High Speed Fuel Pump harness is open or shorted
- High Speed Fuel Pump circuit poor electrical connection

The Engine Control Module (ECM) energized the high speed fuel pump and detected no current flow on the circuit.

P1631 Theft Deterrent System Fault

This code is odd for you don't have a PATS on that model and year...

This is what I show for these codes.

That is a code I rarely see...

Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

Your oil pressure is normal now based on what you provided.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
P1316 sorry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fuel system is fine holds 60 psiDid contribution test cylinders 3,8 failed have replaced with new injectors twice on #8 have same fault with #3 and out an known good injector there.
Did buzz test #2 high low open guessing I didn't hook it up.The IDM keepsake giving me Radom faults and I cannot get the 1316 code to go away. I believe the IDM might be the issue
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does the IDM control the ipr valve?
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

We call that the "check harness" code. It pops up a lot when the injector harness starts pushing oil, gets a break, or worn spot in it. It is an aggravating code to get. 99% of the time it isn't the IDM. Usually the IDM will have a p1298 if there was an issue with it and you didn't mention that code at all. What I see a lot when the harness pushes oil is random codes for random injectors. When that code is alone, the harness is almost always at fault.

Most times when we see these codes, we end up replacing the injector harness on the vehicle. I'm attaching a couple go to links that I have held onto for the code you have.

P1316 Ignition Diagnostic Monitor Codes Detected

-No info follows.

CLICK HERE

Click HERE

Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

No, the IDM doesn't control the IPR. The PCM controls the IPR. All the IDM does is control the injectors.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I replaced but valve cover gaskets and harnesses under the valve cover. I pull the covers and take a look. After replacing all of these parts the truck is still running the same way except it starts up better since the glow plugs are working. 5 out of 8 are bad
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

Everything is normal now or you still have the code?

Was the injector harness changed all the way to the IDM or just the valve cover/harness?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I haven't had time to look it today. I'm a pilot and should be home in a couple of days to countinue with it
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

Follow up when you can.

Thanks.