Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

My vehicle is a 1999 ford expedition.4x4 .the transmission

Customer Question

my vehicle is a 1999 ford expedition.4x4 .the transmission went out so we replaced it with a 1997 transmission off another expedition 4x4..now it turns on but it doesn't shift from 2nd gear to drive and the speedometer doesn't work..the speed ometor was working prior.we have put the outside sensors on transmission and transfercase..we haven't put on any sensors inside
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Does your expedition have the large 4R100/E4OD or the smaller 4R70?

Monitor AC voltage out of the Vehicle Speed Sensor (on rear of transfer case on 4WD vehicles,) with a scope on the Gray/Black wire at 30 MPH while on a rack. Value should be greater than 3.5 volts AC. If no or low voltage out, inspect drive gear for being loose or damaged. If OK, replace VSS and retest. If voltage is OK, check it again under the same circumstances on the female side of connector C-172, terminal 20 (38 cavity connector on the RH side of the firewall). If the voltage is lower, repair the Gray/Black wire from there to the VSS. If good, move to connector C-159, the Brown 40 cavity connector on the rear of the LH fender and repeat process of checking the signal on the Grey/Black wire, each side of the connector, repairing as needed. If the signal is OK there, it next goes to terminal 21 of the CJB, connector C-243 where it travels by printed circuit through the box and internally connects to the GEM module, and also exits at terminals 14 to supply the signal to the instrument cluster.

You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.

Thanks Chris