Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

2006 Ford Freestar. Just quits while driving. Will start

Customer Question

2006 Ford Freestar. Just quits while driving. Will start again after a few minutes. Will idle, but will quit when put into gear. Can do this numerous times. Won't do it after I get it towed to garage. It has done this twice in the last two weeks. Already replaced fuel pump.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this here.I apologize for any delay.

One very common component to fail and cause this fault here is the crank shaft position sensor.This sensor will intermittently fail to send the correct rpm signal and causes a stall out like this here and usually occurs after the engine has warmed up.When it acts up usually it has to sit for a short period of time before it will restart anywhere from a few seconds to an hour.This sensor is located above the crank pulley as seen in the link below.I have had to replace this sensor several times before.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you think it could be the fuelpump relay?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

In most cases the fuel pump relay won't cause this fault here.It is possible but these don't fail like the crank sensors can,this sounds more like a crank sensor fault causing this needing replaced.