Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Ford Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector & Ford Diagnostics/Repair
18617752

I have a 2005 Ford Taurus V6. Day before yesterday, car

Customer Question

Hi Steve. I have a 2005 Ford Taurus V6. Day before yesterday, car indicated check charging system and battery icon.(car running fine). Attempted to drive today to an appointment and it freaked out by: no a/C, check charging system, braking system, conduct system, all kinds of things with icons, including abs icon. I turned around to go back home and put Flasher's on and didn't work. All electric turned off. Car died in front of my driveway. In neutral, you could barely turn Wheel. When turn over a little light click, then nothing. Whole time car drove good.
What do you think, sir? I have the book for my car. Thanks.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry the Tech you requested was unavailable to assist you today. It appears that Tech is currently "Offline". Now that his 15 minute "request lock" has expired, hopefully I can be of some assistance in his place...

From what you are describing here, it sounds like there is going to be a problem in the Charging System. First, make sure the Serpentine Belt is in tact and is tight around all the pulleys. If the belt looks good, let's test the charging system. There is a quick easy test for this, with the use of a voltage meter. With the engine running, take a voltage reading at the battery terminals. If the voltage is not between 13.2-14.4v, or fluctuates in and out of this area, the Alternator will need to be replaced. If the Alternator passes this test, turn the engine off and wait 15min. Take another reading at the battery terminals, this time with the engine off. If the voltage is anything less than 12v, the battery may have a "bad cell" and is not accepting the alternator's charge. If you do not have access to a voltage meter, most local "big chain" parts stores, like AutoZone, will run these tests for Free right in their parking lot. Make sure to also check the battery cables to make sure they are tight, making a good connection and are free of any corrosion at this time. Please remember to leave a rating using the rating system at the top of this page or accept the answer so I may be credited for this Q&A. You can ask follow-up questions any time, even after you rate or accept.