Randall C
Randall C, ASE MasterTechnician
Experience:  35 years ASE Master Tech, Diagnostic , Electrical Specialist
13677702

07 E250.So I messed up big time. Started to put in a new

Customer Question

07 E250.So I messed up big time. Started to put in a new radio in the truck and cut the main power line for the radio and accidentally touched another wire at the same time. Saw sparks and dome lights went out. I know I blew something. Truck does not even try and turn over, battery light on once key is turn, dome lights radio and windows do not work. But everything else works fine headlight power locks and AC. Checked all fuses but can't check
relays. My only guess is that it might be a bad relay????
Category: Ford
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

Hello, for some reason I feel you did blow a fuse, there are 3 fuses to the radio persay, You must change these fuses out, dont just look at them, the fuse I feel may be the problem F22 but F3 and F27 are possibles. Please swap each of them out,ALl are located in the inside fuse box, by steering column etc. I doubt a relay but possible, at which time we will need a testlight to test a few things,I lean to a fuse though, I included a diagram showing fuse layout

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Alright so F22 was bad now the lights come on windows work and radio turns on. But the truck still won't turn over. I have a engin light on oil light and battery light on. Bad starter?
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

odd, the radio can/will prevent cranking /starting as antitheft is controlled by the radio, unsure at the moment, swap fuse F 23 in the inside fuse box, starter is possible but thinking a link to the antitheft is not working, is the antitheft light flashing with key on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No the anti theft light does not flash at all. I changed out F23. And now that I think about it I don't think I re connected all the wires for the radio after I blew the fuse. So I just started to wire the old radio back in. Should I reconnect the other wires?
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

ALL wires MUST be connected. The radio has the "Start feature" for starting the van built in, All about antitheft

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Reconnected all the wires truck still doesn't start but everything else is working. Do I gotta do a relearn on it?
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

just do not know., I am pretty sure this radio is plug and play, I cant remember all of them, what about old radio? can you plug it back in?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I put the old one back in wire for wire, I have notice that the fuses F3 and F27 have no voltage going to them, meaning when I put my power prob on them F3 will read 0.1 and F 27 reads nothing. I changed those fuses out like you told me to.
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

F27 will only have power with key held to START, do you have power that way?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when I turn the key all the way it then says I have power to it.
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

ok, then swap out the big 60 amp fuse in the under hood fuse box, F7, Use another similar to it, I guess for testing , even if amp is not exact, or need another new one to try, link shows F7

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok changed out F7 still won't start.
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

still no power at F3? that fuse is powered direct from the F7 in the under hood fuse box, If no power? then I am confused, I doubt wiring issue, its fuse F7 to fuse F3 in the inside fuse box, Can you probe the top tabs of f7 in the under hood fuse box? volts ther on each side with fuse still in?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok yes I have power going to F3 and there is power going to each side tap of F7.
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

ok, I was going off you saying F3 had no power, I am unsure how all fuses and power are good, was cranking fine prior to this and now nothing,. I need to opt out and open the post to the other experts, I am sorry I am at a loss on this

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yea I just now realized that F3 only has power if the key is turn to on. But the truck still won't start. Yes cranking was good and fine before I tried putting a different radio in and blew it.