chris
chris, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master -Ford senior master-20 years experience
9504203

My 2007 Ford Taurus we has an electronic problem some times

Customer Question

My 2007 Ford Taurus we has an electronic problem some times when you hit a bump almost everything stops working elec. Windows, gauges, radio, its like its in some kind of emergency mode cause its still running. The first time it happened it scared me so bad cause I thought it died because the tach died with the gauges and I was making a lane change and passing in a hurry. I thought I would loose power. As soon as you stop and turn off the key and turn it back on again everythings back to normal. Most of the time. Got any ideas? I think I have checked every ground wire under the car and under hood and a few in trunk. I figure it's got something loose under dash but it looks like spaghetti I don't have a clue where to start. Help please
Category: Ford
Expert:  chris replied 1 year ago.

Hi there , I would start at the ignition switch , gain access to the ignition switch and leave it accessible so when the problem happens you can use a test lamp and test the wires at the ignition switch ,

-

when things are working properly, power goes into the ignition switch on the light green / violet wire ,, then come out of the ignition switch on these two wires , black/light green and red/light green

-

so when the problems happens see if the light green/violet wire has power , if it does but one of the other two wires ( black/light green and red/light green does not , then the ignition switch is bad,

-

if you find the light green/violet does not have power at the ignition switch , then tell me the problem lies in the wiring from the ignition switch to the fuse box under the hood , and there is a common problem that happens in the left front wheel well with the wiring.

-

we can go back and fourth on this page

-

Chris