Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

A girl from my church has a 1999 Taurus 3.0 that I'm trying

Customer Question

Hi, A girl from my church has a 1999 Taurus 3.0 that I'm trying to help out. She recently lost all drive gears, no forward and no reverse. It barely clunks into gear when shifting from reverse to drive but it won't move the car. Fluid is at proper level and is not burnt, car quit driving all of a sudden. I did a few of the simpler diagnostics I saw on another u-tube site, the fluid level drops on the dip stick from not running to running which seems to indicate that the pump is doing something yet when I pull the fluid test port plug on the top of the trans there is not fluid flow, this is the plug towards the rear of the car. Seems to be stripped teeth on the torque converter spline?
I would like to help this girl get her car back on the road at the least cost, I am volunteering my time to make this fix. Does this sound like a torque converter spline to you? Would you recommend pulling the transmission or would it be easier to just pull the engine? I'm working at home without a lift. Thanks Mark
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

This is going to be the converter splines stripped. The diag is a line pressure test to confirm the pressure is low. You would address this by removing the transaxle out the bottom once the subframe is removed.

You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Chris, thanks for your prompt answer to my question. This is the first Taurus I've done much work on, especially auto transmission work and was just looking for a little basic info before I start the repair. In my previous work life I was an ASE Master Car, Truck, and Bus technician and was on the tools for about 25 years the last 18 of which was working in fleet maintenance for a mayor electric utility in California. Attended automotive trade school in Arizona in the 70's. Been off the tools professionally since 2002 but still do my own wrenching and help family and friends with theirs too. Again, I appreciate your time and expertise. Take Care, Mark

Glad I could help and thanks for your rating.