Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Have been working on Ford GM and Chrysler for 15+ years and ASE master certified.
27644750

Ok ford expedition battery keeps going dead

Customer Question

ok ford expedition battery keeps going dead
Category: Ford
Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is Scott

Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.

How quickly does the battery go dead?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
within day or two of not been driven, tested it wiith multimeter found fuse 21 cause draw, problem is i already fixed rear wiper, workds good now. draw is 0.52
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i fixed rear wiper problem and that was two weeks ago. problem keeps happening
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
wipers good, finisihes right position but battery still draining
Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.

Was the rear wiper disconnected?Or what was done to fix the wiper?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when i looked at it wasnt in end position, so i wd 40 it, moved it back and forth till it loosened good, then used controller in cabin to operate it for another 5 mins, put on some lith grease and its performs its function fine as far as i can see
Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.

We replace the shaft pivot in the glass ,if not it will not park correctly and drain the battery. I would disconnect the rear wiper connector, then see if the battery goes dead, if not, replace the glass pivot. We have done a ton of these.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok the rear wiper electrical connector, then i can test the draw an see if change, where do i dissconnect it, cuz i was looking for it and paneling is hard to take off
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok dissconected two connectors, now draws at 0.90
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
reconnected it and back to 0.51 draw. w
Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.

Should not be over ,050 milliamps. The vehicle must sit with door opening or key cycles for 45 minutes to time out modules. If the door is opened another 45 minutes.

Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.

Without opening or key cycles.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yep have tester hooked up neagtive in series an going thru window
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but ya wheres the drain come from, when i pull 21 it goes to 0.04
Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.

21 inside vehicle or under hood

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you got any other ideas?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
inside vehicle
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
all the lights are off, dimmer switch is off
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok..so what is fuse 21 responsible for
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
bud if u dont know open to all experts. my wifes been breaking my balls for a month!
Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.

Hang on, let me do some looking, we rarely see any other drain problems with these vehicles, let me take a look at fuse 21, I don't want her mad at me either.

Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.

Here is a TSB for your vehicle, use this to help pinpoint the drain, fuse 21 is for the instrument cluster and interior lighting.

Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.

Here is a wiring diagram.

Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.

I suspect either a interior light is on, or the instrument cluster will not go to sleep.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok how do i disconnect cluster to see
Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.

If you check the instrument cluster back lighting, is the module completely dark after 30 minutes?

Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.

I would check the back lighting first before disassembly of the dash.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ya nothings on
Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.

Here is cluster removal.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
uh wouldnt it make more sense to just disconnect electril connectors at bottom as opposed to take whole thing out
Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.

You can do what you want, but the testing is not accurate since the connectors at the bottom have way more circuits in them and run the risk of error during diagnosis by disconnecting too many circuits..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok i disconnected em all
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
broughbt it to .48
Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.

What was disconnected? And you haven't waited 30 minutes to see if the modules time out and the drain goes away.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
all ready had panel under steering wheel off , windows open guy. i know i can t bypass door. what am i waiting 30 mins for.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
discconected one big connector and 3 smaller ones
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
im waiting 30 mins for you thats what
Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.

Ok I see, I am going to opt out and have another expert take a crack at this one, good luck with the repairs.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
to bad you didnt do that 1 hr ago as i requested
Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.

Someone should be with you shortly, thanks Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok 51$ and your best advice is same answer as Google. This site sucks
Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.

Sorry to hear this, normally someone will pick this question up as it takes priority, don't respond to this it keeps locking me to the question further delaying your answer, thanks Scott

Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, i can try to help, i have read over your previous posts, what setting is your meter on? the readings need to end up under .050Ma. the best thing to do is not unplug random items in the car, its to pull once fuse at a time util the draw drops down to spec and then i can tell you what is on the circuit to the fuse you pulled. if you dont want to give me a chance i understand you seem frustrated already and i apologize, we are here to help. Let me know if you wish to proceed. Lou

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Lou, before I used just ask, I pulled fuse til I found 21 causing drain. Meter is set to 10a. Before I used just ask I googled issue and went look at rear wiper, fixed that, still battery go dead. Disconnected stuff by rear wiper motor draw goes to 0.90(?), when reconnect goes to 0.52-0.51. I couldn't figure how by pass door opening so I have window down. So I don't wake up vehicle which isn't fun to work in. Battery goes desd if not used for day or two. When this started was after having tires aligned at crappy tire. Always says low pressure now. Battery 9 month old, test good.
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.

Hello , ok first. To trick the vehicle you open all the doors and then use a screwdriver to latch the door catches. The door ajar switches are internal to the door latches and tailgate latch. Also open the hood and then you will have access to all the fuse boxes. Lock the car and wait about 30-45 minutes for the voltage to stabilize before removing the negative terminal to check the draw. Now you must use the meter clamped to the negative cable and the battery post as you disconnect them so the alarm does not go off or the lights come on so that way it does not blow your meter fuse. Now can you upload a picture of your meter setup to me ? I want to make sure you are in the proper settings.