Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician
Experience:  ASE, NATEF Engines and Electrical certified, EPA 608/609
9290743

Please. I bought a 2004 Ford F250 5.4 XLT (extended cab).

Customer Question

please. I bought a 2004 Ford F250 5.4 XLT (extended cab). 189K. Drove it home from the auction, drove it a few days and then it died one day while driving. Started right back up and then died again. But now the dying is starting to happen more frequent. and sometimes it wont turn over for the first few minutes. If I let it sit for a few, it usually turns over. Then also if I let it idle, it will sit idling for about 5 minutes and then finally choke out it seems like. I have cleaned the MAF sensor, replaced Air Filter, Fuel Filter and just replaced the Idle Air Control Valve. Problem still persists. Only real thing I think that is left is the fuel pump. what do you think? I have the 29 gallon midship tank if that makes a difference on pumps.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.

When it dies and you are trying to restart, are you getting cranking on the engine and no fuel or no cranking either?

If cranking, then proceed here. If no crank, let me know because that is something else. If cranking, then yes, I would lean hard on the fuel pump. If you have it die on you again, turn the key off and back to on and see if you can hear the hum from the pump. If so, then you need a sock for the pump most likely. If you don't, then you will need a pump.

What happens on these models is the sock goes bad and something gets pulled into it and blocks the punk up tube creating suction. Then as the vehicle dies out, the suction goes away and the debris is free. I have seen this so many times on the gas Fords. I wouldn't be surprised if you find a little plastic pellet in the tank. That is from the manufacturing process when the tank was made. I've been replacing socks in a lot of Super Duty trucks because of them in the years of 1999-2005. Yours fits right in that date range.

Otherwise, if you hear no pump at all, then replace the pump.

Now, if you die out and the engine doesn't crank, the issue is in the ground strap most likely. The one from the engine to the frame. The Triton is aluminum and the grand strap corrodes badly. If you get under the truck on the passenger side, look near the starter and you can see the ground strap. Now run it to the engine and where it mounts to the engine, clean it with a wire brush. It should take care of that issue. Very common on these trucks that are in snow areas for that ground strap issue.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see,
touch, smell, hear, or taste the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

The system DOES NOT automatically give me credit from your deposit. A rating is REQUIRED. You are rating me for the information I provide,
not the website. I have no control over the site fees, site errors, category errors, or how long it took for a response for these reasons.

I am not an employee of this website, so please rate with a POSITIVE (green) rating for me to get credit for assisting you. You still pay
the website for negatives or by not rating at all. I just get nothing from that payment you made. So please rate each answer I provide.

I want you pleased with my service to you so please inform me before rating negative (red) and I will do my best to make it right. Follow
ups for same question are always free after ratings have been made.

I do have many workshop manuals, diagrams, etc that I pay to get access to out of my pocket. If one is needed, please ask and I will give
you an offer at my technician discounted cost to you for such manuals. I never charge above that cost.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It does crank. And you just saved me a ton of money!!!!!! Thank you. WELL WORTH THE MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome. That is what we are here for.