Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

1993 Mustang LX 2.3L When you turn the key on, you can hear

Customer Question

1993 Mustang LX 2.3L
When you turn the key on, you can hear the fuel pump run, car will start but within seconds shuts off. Sometimes it will start right back up without turning the key off, sometimes you have to cycle the key for it to start.
It's had the IRCM go bad before, but this is different since it starts.
Any Ideas/
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The problem may very well be a failing fuel pump even though you are still hearing it run, I would proceed with checking the fuel pressure, normal fuel pressure needs to be right at 32 to 45 PSI and not drop below 32 PSI. Check this for me and post back with the results and we can work from there to get this resolved.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will get the tool and check the pressure. Once I have I will let you know.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Okay sounds good, post back when you can .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ron,
I finally got a fuel pressure gauge with a Ford adapter. It went to 34 psi when I turned the key on, then bumped up to almost 40 psi when I started the engine. It stayed there when the engine shut down on its own, then fell back down to 34. I left the gauge hooked up and over the next half hour it bled down to just under 30 psi.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Okay then the fuel pressure looks okay if your gauge is accurate, so when the engine stalled the next things you need to do is check to see if you have spark and injector pulse.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what you're saying is make sure there's fire and fuel getting to the cylinders. yeah, okay.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Yes that is correct, in order for the engine to start and run you need good spark to the spark plugs, injector pulse and proper fuel pressure, since you have verified proper fuel pressure , the next step would be to check for spark and injector pulse.