Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician
3195632

About 3 months ago my 2005 Ford Taurus (88,000 miles) that I

Customer Question

About 3 months ago my 2005 Ford Taurus (88,000 miles) that I have owned for 9 years stalled out as I was stopped at a light to make a left turn. Just before it shutdown the Left Directional caught my attention because it appeared to be "clicking" at an accelerated speed (2x as fast). Then everything the car shutdown and the entire dash and radio went black. The dash lights and gauges came back on after about a minute. There was a clicking type sound that appeared to be coming from somewhere under the dashboard. Car restarted when placed in Park. This has happened at least 20x over the last 3-4 months and ALWAYS when I am slowing down to, or fully stopped.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
I am sorry that you have not been helped yet, I just came online and saw your question
By the symptoms, it sounds like a loose contact in the ignition switch or possibly a loose ground or corrosion on a ground, either in the body or the engine.
If you need a list of ground locations to check, let me know. But before checking the grounds, I would pull the ignition switch and check all the contacts, as well as electrical connector pins for a loose or broken pin as these are more likely to be the culprit.
Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the reply Eric and I apologize for taking this long to get back with you. Since I submitted my question, the electrical "kill" issue has happened 3 additional times. One thing I forgot to mention in my original write-up was that when the power comes back on after everything goes completely dead is that the "Miles to Empty" system that's part of the odometer readout resets to a higher / earlier # ***** that which it stated when the car dies. However, the clock resets at the correct time. I don't know if that plays into this in any way. My question to you is: So far my problem ONLY seems to occur when I am slowing down and/or stopped, or backing out of a parking spot. Fortunately it's never happened at highway, or normal forward speed while driving. Could the ignition switch issue you mentioned cause this? Also, when the power does come back on after 10-15 seconds, there is a faint 'clicking" type noise that appears to be coming from behind the speedometer / maybe under the dash. Thanks Mark
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
Yes, it is possible that the ignition switch is causing this, usually due to a faulty/loose contact. But it could be a loose ground, although I would expect it to happen more often with a loose body ground.
Of the two, I do more suspect the ignition switch, which would take removing and inspecting the contacts inside it for breaks or being loose.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Eric, Although the cars referenced in this Link are a 2003 Ford Taurus, "some" of the problems sound very similar.http://www.carcomplaints.com/Ford/Taurus/2003/electrical/electrical_system_cuts_out_intermittently_and_engine_stalls_dies.shtml
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
Similiar, but I dont see where they all have a common cause, which doesnt surprise me.
People, including techs, fall into a habit of assuming all similiar issues are caused by just one thing, when there are many causes and we have to start by testing most common and work down the list, testing each potential cause until the underlying problem is found.
The 2 causes I gave you are the most common for your specific symptoms, but in reality, there are probably 40 or more technically possible causes. We just have to have a starting point, and with your symptoms, they are testing the ignition switch and checking for loose grounds.