Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician
Experience:  ASE, NATEF Engines and Electrical certified, EPA 608/609
9290743

I purchased my F 250 6l diesel super duty 2 months ago.

Customer Question

I purchased my F 250 6l diesel super duty 2 months ago. Thursday I stopped at a light and it died. Now every time I stop it dies. The motor is also reving on its own. It will rev up while parked and idling as well as when I am driving. It ran perfectly until Thursday. The check engine light has also come on and it is a steady burning light. This is my first truck and first diesel so I don't really know what is going on with it.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.

First off, did you buy it from a dealer or an individual? I ask because there is a 3 day lemon law that the previous owner will have to make any and all repairs on the vehicle. You can get all that money back. Contact an attorney on that and how it works. Every state has one. The reason is because if the issue is due to injectors or a head gasket problem (which these engines are notorious for having) they can cost a couple thousand in repairs.

I didn't mean to get you to a panic, I just wanted you to know your rights on that to save you a lot of money.

Now, diesel engines are a different beast than gasoline, especiallt this engine. This engine uses a different system to power it. Cars use gas, the 6.0L uses oil. The pressure in the top of the engine is what paowers the injectors to fuel it. Part of that system you have a valve called a IPR calve or Injection Pressure Regulator. When it acts up, it can create this issue. The valve gets plugged up or it quits working and the engine will die and rev up because the valve is stuck closed causing the pressure to be high and over fuel the engine.

Also, the other issue that can cause this is the accelerator pedal. These engines are known as fly by wire. They don't have a cable. It is completely electronic.

First thing I would do is get the truck scanned and see what the code is. It will tell you a lot on what is wrong on this engine. Unlike a car, these engines have sensors on everything. Every injector, the modules, the seats, everything. Auto Zone scanners may be able to read these engines, but not always. These engines are special built engines for Ford so they tend to have to use the Ford IDS scanners on them or a Snap On. So when you call around to shops to get it scanned, ask if they have one of these to be able to get the engine scanned properly.

Get the code or codes and we can go from there.

If you plan on doing any of the work yourself on this, I do suggest buying a high end scanner that you can attach to your laptop for it is very difficult to work on this particular engine without one. There are so many diagnostics that need to be done in order to test what is wrong.

On another note, since this is your first diesel and it is a 6.0L Ford Powerstroke, I highly suggest watching videos on youtube from Powerstrokehelp. I will upload a LINK HERE for he explains everything that has gone wrong on these engines.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see,
touch, smell, hear, or taste the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

The system DOES NOT automatically give me credit from your deposit. A rating is REQUIRED. You are rating me for the information I provide,
not the website. I have no control over the site fees, site errors, category errors, or how long it took for a response for these reasons.

I am not an employee of this website, so please rate with a POSITIVE (green) rating for me to get credit for assisting you. You still pay
the website for negatives or by not rating at all. I just get nothing from that payment you made. So please rate each answer I provide.

I want you pleased with my service to you so please inform me before rating negative (red) and I will do my best to make it right. Follow
ups for same question are always free after ratings have been made.

I do have many workshop manuals, diagrams, etc that I pay to get access to out of my pocket. If one is needed, please ask and I will give
you an offer at my technician discounted cost to you for such manuals. I never charge above that cost.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

Did you need any more assistance with this?