Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician
Experience:  ASE, NATEF Engines and Electrical certified, EPA 608/609
9290743

We have a 2005 F 150, my husband replaced the calipers and

Customer Question

hi eric
We have a 2005 F 150, my husband replaced the calipers and now we go to turn it feels like something is rubbing....this happens only when we turn
Category: Ford
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
does it sound like a tire rubbing something, or more like a metal scraping or metal rubbing against metal sound?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is rubbing and this only happens when turning
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
Ok, he will need to pull the wheels and first check that the rotor is seating flush against the hub surface, then check the caliper for any rub marks on it from the inside of the wheel indicating that the calipers are the wrong ones. And finally check the backside of rotor to see if the dustshield is rubbing against the back of the rotor when the wheels are turned
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Checked the rotor is sitting flush and it is, called autozone to make sure I did receive the right caliper and checked the dust shield for rubbing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also i did replace the brake pads
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
Can you see any rub marks on the wheel wells or the inside sidewall of the tires
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just checked no rub marks
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
Ok, I am out of ideas where the rubbing would be coming from. I will open this back up to other experts to see if they have an idea
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.

Is this a 4 wheel or*****vehicle?

Did the rubbing sounds happen before the brakes were changed or only after?

When you put the brake pads on, did you use "disc quiet" spray on the back of them?

Was the little metal slides changed when you replaced everything?

Were the slide pins greased with anti-seize? I know on new calipers, they tend to be dry a lot of times and will cause a slight bind when turning the wheels from the pads rubbing.

Do you have the part numbers from the caliper and the pads so I can cross them to make sure they are correct for your vehicle?

Did you do your "brake burn in" when you finished the repair? This is where you drive up to 10 mph and hit the brakes with easey slow down 6 times and then hard brake to burn off the uneven surface of the disc from where it mounts to the rotor surface.

You didn't mention new rotors. Did you turn the rotors?

Raise the front end up and also check the bearings/hubs. Rock the tire side to side. If there is play, the bearing/hub is worn and will cause that noise. They tend to really show after a brake job because of the hammering, impacts, vibration, etc from the job.

I know it is a lot of questions. I'm trying to get this narrowed down for you.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see,
touch, smell, hear, or taste the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

The system DOES NOT automatically give me credit from your deposit. A rating is REQUIRED. You are rating me for the information I provide,
not the website. I have no control over the site fees, site errors, category errors, or how long it took for a response for these reasons.

I am not an employee of this website, so please rate with a POSITIVE (green) rating for me to get credit for assisting you. You still pay
the website for negatives or by not rating at all. I just get nothing from that payment you made. So please rate each answer I provide.

I want you pleased with my service to you so please inform me before rating negative (red) and I will do my best to make it right. Follow
ups for same question are always free after ratings have been made.

I do have many workshop manuals, diagrams, etc that I pay to get access to out of my pocket. If one is needed, please ask and I will give
you an offer at my technician discounted cost to you for such manuals. I never charge above that cost.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

Did you still need help?