Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner
Experience:  General Repair Shop Owner
66997337

I have a 98 Grand Marquis that blows fuse #5 as soon as the

Customer Question

I have a 98 Grand Marquis that blows fuse #5 as soon as the EATC comes on. This happened immediately after my rearview mirror detached from the windshield and fell. It might have struck the EATC panel, but didn't see it happen so I'm just guessing at the connection. Could an impact have shorted out a connection that now blows that fuse?
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've also sprayed De-Oxit (electronic contact cleaner and protectant) into the panel with no effect. Is there a way to get behind the buttons and see if there's any damage from impact? I know how to remove the dash panel and remove the unit if necessary.
Expert:  Wayne Crawford replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

Is it possible the mirror hit a button to turn on the A/C? Generally when this fuse is blowing its related to the compressor pulling too many amps. Try unplugging the compressor and see if it still blows.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It the mirror hit a button, it was with the car parked in the sun, turned off. The EATC was dead from the moment I started the car after noticing the mirror had fallen, so it was never on at the moment the first fuse blew. When I replaced #5 the EATC display blinked on for a moment then went dead again.
If I need to, Where do I unplug the compressor- can I pull a fuse related to it and have the same effect for this test?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If" the mirror .. oops

You can try pulling the the A/C Wide-Open Throttle (WOT) relay from the relay center

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm an amateur- where do I locate the WOT?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Need more info-where's the WOT relay?

Sorry was out on a service call. The relay is in the relay center .. Should be marked on the cover

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK will have to check that tomorrow - going out for the evening-- thanks- I'll get back to you tomorrow. Still, is it possible the control panel being struck by the mirror could produce the same symptom by causing a short? If I could get the buttons off from the front, I could check that right away and possibly repair it if I can see something damaged. I don't want to force anything, so I'm asking first. Thanks, Ike