Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

I have a 96 ford f250 with the 460 engine. the battery

Customer Question

I have a 96 ford f250 with the 460 engine. the battery drained and I did not start it for 2 months. It is an OBD1 system. It all of a sudden started running as if it is out of time. The computer has no sense either when I use A expensive code reader or jumper wire. I tried all I know. This I think is a rare truck 118 made per VIN. can you help?
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This truck has been gently treated and ran like a top before I let it sit. Also A door hinge gave out 6 months ago and moisture got in the cabin badly enough where I had to spray pbs on seats so they would move and recline. the reason the battery drained was the mercury switch on the hood lamp enabled it to stay on.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If it seems to be running like its out of time try installing your timing light and pull the SPOUT connector and check the base timing, it should be right at 10 degrees BTDC and hold steady. If so then plug the spout back in and run the engine up to 1500 RPM and watch the timing and see if it advances and hold steady at about 20 to 30 degrees. Check this for me and post back and we can work from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks for the reply. There is no spout connector anywhere around the distributor assuming it should look the same as the one on my 1991 mustang 5.0, However there is one by the firewall but when pulled it shuts the engine down. Also timing light does not blink in a sustained way as if it is bad miss. Am I looking for the same grey object on my mustang? or something else?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

The SPOUT connector should be in the harness next t the ignition module and it does look just like the one in your Mustang. Makes sure you pulling the correct one. If the timing was set with out pulling it , then its likely way out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the timing was set by the factory. I have owned the truck from new and only use it to haul large items.I cannot understand how timing "is way out" just by not driving it for 6 weeks. The ignition module is mounted on the fender on an aluminum bodied heat sink. The truck has the TFI-IV/EEC-IV distributor which has no vacuum advance mechanism or centrifugal advance mech The SPOUT is at that location but the truck will not start with it removed, and will not stay running long enough for me to run to the front to keep it idling. The fuel pump comes on so I assume the computer is not trashed.. I cannot find my multi meter to check the ICM. I will go buy one today. I hooked the timing light up before I was confused on the SPOUT location and noticed it was not flashing normally while running. I am thinking I should replace fuel filter and put 5 gallons of gas in 1 tank. what are your thoughts. I am a disabled veteran with little money I do not want to just start replacing parts. Thank you for any help you can give with your vast amount of experience.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

The engine should start with the SPOUT removed because you only placing the timing at base which should be 10 degrees BTDC. In most cases if the ignition module fail's you loos all spark and it will not start at all. Go ahead with the filter and the fresh gas and if possible let see if there are any fault codes setting. This may take a few back and forths to figure out what going on here to bear with me,