James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

Just changed the waterpump on my 2004 ford focus 't know if

Customer Question

just changed the waterpump on my 2004 ford focus don't know if this is something I have done or coincidental but the crankshaft has locked up with only 90 degrees of movement
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

With the timing belt off is the crankshaft still locked?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi James ,Sorry for not getting back sooner but couldn't access the service.
anyway yes the the crankshaft is still locked after the I took off the timining belt
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

If it stops turning that makes it sound like the crankshaft or a piston is bent? Did the engine get hot when the water pump failed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it got hot several times but was still running when I changed the water pump after re assembly it cranked a couple of times then jammed so I assumed I must have knocked out the timing so I went to reset the timing on removing the plugs I noticed there was a lot of oil on them they had actually been sitting in oil up to the porcelain level so I removed the rocker cover and noticed a split in the gasket so all the oil that was sitting in the plug recesses must have gone straight down into the cylinders so now im suspecting a hydraulic lock. what do you think? head removal and see?
cheers graham
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

If you have a hydrolock removing the spark plug will allow you to get around it. If the engine still won't turn with the spark plugs out I would remove the oil pan. I think something bent and removing the oil pan will help you find the issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok James will give that a go tomorrow.
thanks graham
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome. If you need more assistance please let me know. Also please remember to rate my answer so I receive credit. We can still speak after a rating has been left as well.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi James,
just had a quick thought I have removed the camsshafts and all the intake valves are still open, these engines don't have pushrods do they if their overhead camshafts, so perhaps ive bent the valve stems?what do you think?
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

It's possible but if you rotate the camshaft a to a neutral position the crank should rotate. If a valve is stick open the piston can just be locked against it without actually causing any damage. This engine doesn't have pushrods either you are correct on that as well.