Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

I have a 95 Mustang with the 5.0 H.O. engine, I am having an

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 95 Mustang with the 5.0 H.O. engine, I am having an intermittant starting problem. it is giving a 542 dtc.
It seems to have no regular reason before the starting issue (hot, cold, just shut off or sitting)
I have replaced the following in the last 2-3k miles.
coil, plugs, cap, rotor oil change, fuel filter, fuel strainer, fuel pump and sending unit, MAF, throttlebody and battery.
I have taken it to two local shops with no results and left with the technicians and service managers scratching thier heads. there is 35psi of fuel koeo and it climbed when koer but i do not remember what the psi was. any assistance would be greatly appriciated as my wife now wants to sell my pony since I have been having this problem over the last 3 months..
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The code 542 usually set due to a loss of signal to the fuel pump circuit, if you can get the car to stall and not start check and see if you have key on cranking power in and out of your inertia switch , if so then check for key on engine cranking power at the power wire at the fuel pump, if you have power to the pump then make sure you have a good ground at the pump as well. Check this for me and post back and we can work from there.