Derek Werner
Derek Werner, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1 Advanced level specialist
61695331

2005 ford five hundred ...speedometer stops working at 55

Customer Question

2005 ford five hundred ...speedometer stops working at 55 mph and abs,traction control lights on dash come on until vehicle is restarted
Category: Ford
Expert:  Derek Werner replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome!

How often does this occur?

Always at 55mph?

Do you have access to a scan tool that can retrieve codes from the entire vehicle?

Thanks

William.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Am on smartphone internet was down.)..today I took car on highway...hit 60 mph for approx 2 min with cruise ctrl on...trac ctrl,abs,brake warning lights came on...car stayed at speed W/cruise still maintaining speed ...went to advance auto for scan got emission codes and wheel sensor code
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did I mention car has cvt tranny?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Awd also
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Do you have the code numbers so i can look them up? Does the speedometer stop working all together. does the needle go back to 0mph?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Don't have code #'s. .speedo goes back to zero and stays there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A mechanic had replaced power steering pump and rack and pinion unit long with rear wheel bearing just prior to this issue.. He remarked that he had to drop the frame to replace rack+pinion.!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My wife commented that she lost her brakes a few times ...but they kicked in "just in time"

A wheel speed sensor fault can cause abs braking problems at low speeds. When applying the brake pedal a buzzing noise can be heard, this is the abs pump activating. Your mechanic had to remove a major steering component in the vehicle, and could have pulled a wire or left a connector loose. You can return the vehicle to him and have the connections double checked.

Also a common fault with your vehicle is a internal electrical fault in the instrument cluster causing the gauges not to work. The cluster will need to be replaced.

The only way to properly diagnose the problem is to retrieve codes from the engine control module, and the anti lock brake control module.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a question for you...If I disconnected one of the abs sensors on one of the wheels..wouldn't it show up instantly on the dashboard rather than waiting until I got up to highway speed?

Yes you are correct, if there is a open in one of the wheel speed sensor circuits it will turn on the abs light when the key is in the on position. With a scan tool this will show up as a current fault code.

If there is a poor connection for the abs wheel speed sensor circuit this will show up under driving conditions and will be a intermittent problem.