Jon
Jon, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Master Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge Tech
62301042

I have 2011 ford F350 diesel when I step on it to take of it

Customer Question

I have 2011 ford F350 diesel when I step on it to take of it makes a squeal like whistle for a few seconds as the turbo spools up then it go away I can let off and step on it and it is quiet but if I stop and the turbo spools down it will do it again when
I step on it I have driven it for about 6000 klm like this but it is getting louder the noise is definetly coming from back of engine and a puff of smoke comes up when you rev it
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Hi, from what you're describing, it sounds like your turbo is going bad. The puff of smoke is probably from oil leaking past the seals in the turbo and the squeal is probably the bearing failing in the turbo. Have someone power brake it and stick a long screw driver metal end on the turbo, handle end on your ear and listen for the squeal in the turbo.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did what you said changed out turbo along with intake tubes and it still makes high pitch squeal or whistle and gives off puff of smoke 3800 dollars later