James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

Code P0299 and the symptoms are a lot of black smoke when in

Customer Question

Code P0299 and the symptoms are a lot of black smoke when in full throttle, lack of power, less than 20 psi of boost readings, stumbles or hesitates when accelerating, what could be wrong?
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

Hello, you swapped the turbo from a different 2005 superduty?

Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

Do you hear any abnormal noises? If you remove the ebp sensor and start the vehicle. Do you get good exhaust flow out of the ebp tube?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes I have swapped the turbo from another superduty and I haven't felt the exhaust flow from the ebp sensor tube but i could try that tomorrow and let you know. I have cleaned the tube but not measure exhaust flow there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I hear a noise when decelerating like a fluttering noise coming out of the intake just like when you perform an EGR Cooler delete procedure but I'm not sure if this 6.0 has the EGR Cooler deleted because I haven't got that far in the process of solving the P0299.

Any ideas on what I could be missing here?

Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

Ok let me know. On these it is usually the nipple that the tube goes to that plugs up

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

there is nothing plugged at the EBP...tube is clean and nipple is clean, please read what I have done so far regarding this issue so you can have a better perspective of what is happening.

thanks

Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

From everything I have read it sounds like the turbo is sticking. When you swapped the turbo it shouldn't also be sticking. Make sure all CAC tunes are tight and there are no intake leaks. Also make sure there are no exhaust leaks as this will lower boost as well. If the ebp sensor connector has any physical damage to the wiring at all you can get the same concern as well. Are all of these items ok?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

let me tell you something I didn't mentioned before, I already clean the vanes at the turbo which were stuck at the time and I thought this is it problem solved that's the first thing I tried but to my surprise after turbo disassembly, cleaning and assembly the P0299 was still there. After this I've tried everything I mentioned before with no success, you could be right that the turbo I swapped from a buddies F250 could be dirty and stuck because I just swapped it without checking the vanes but his truck has no codes and no apparent problems so my guess was that his turbo is fine but in my truck it didn't solve the problem. There are no obvious intake leaks and the connector for the EBP Sensor is in perfect condition, I will check on the exhaust leaks tomorrow and let you know what I find.

thanks

Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

Ok also make sure the nipple for the map sensor isn't plugged with carbon.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the nipple for the map sensor isn't plugged I already checked that, today I found out that the batteries were weak because the alternator coil was fried but the readings for voltage on the FICM were 48.5V so I don't believe the alternator not charging the batteries at all wasn't causing the FICM to not reaching its 48 volts

Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

I don't want this to sound dumb but the air filter was also checked correct? If this has an EGR delete does it also have a programmer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The air filter is in good condition and yes I already checked that, about the EGR cooler delete I don't know if it is deleted because I haven't got that far down the engine and there is no visible programmer in the truck. One thing I noticed is that this 2005 F250 has an aftermarket AIRAID air filter with the stock box removed and no MAF sensor connected nor visible anywhere even though it has the plug for the MAF sensor disconnected because this Aftermarket filter only has a small sensor connected there that looks like an INTAKE air temperature sensor maybe it came with the filter or maybe the 2005 does not uses a MAF sensor? The 2006 F250 which was the parts donor truck does has the MAF sensor and obviously is connected with the engines harness. Is it possible that the 2005 F250 doesn't uses MAF sensor and only relies on MAP sensor readings and the 2006 F250(donor truck) does have this sensor and relies on MAF and as well as MAP sensor readings? In other words does the 2005 uses MAF sensorS and the 2006 DOESN'T? I also check on exhaust leaks and it doesn't have any leaks there. The Code P0299 sets as soon as the truck is at idle speed for about three minutes there is no need for me to take the truck for a drive it just needs three minutes or so idling and the P0299 shows up again.

Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

Correct mass air flow isn't used as primary sensor on most models depending on calibrations.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Where do we go from here? Did you asked about EGR valve delete or EGR Cooler delete? why did you ask about the programmer?

Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

If the EGR hasn't been deleted it can cause the issue. If you drive with the EGR valve unplugged does it make a difference?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

which one can cause the issue the EGR Cooler been deleted or the EGR Valve deleted, I'm not sure what do you mean by EGR deleted?

Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

If you have an EGR delete you remove the EGR cooler from the vehicle and prevent the system from working. If the EGR system is still fully functioning then the EGR valve can be causing this concern.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have a question, The Code P0299 sets as soon as the truck is at idle speed for about three minutes or so there is no need for me to take the truck for a drive it just needs three minutes or so idling and the P0299 shows up again after I have cleared it with the scan tool does this give you a clue?

I've just taken the intake manifold apart from the engine to inspect the EGR cooler and intake for carbon buildup but everything is fine there is no carbon and the EGR Cooler and EGR Valve are fully functional there is no EGR delete perform at all so this keeps me concerned on why do I hear a fluttering sound when I decelerate the engine as when a Turbo Blow off valve comes to action when decelerating but all the 6.0's that I have driven before none makes this sound except for one that had the EGR Cooler deleted but with this truck the deletion process is not the case.

Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

When the engine is cold and it happens it usually is a sticking turbo. The unison ring egg shapes and during idle during testing the vanes don't move well. I always corrected this code by removing and cleaning the turbo. By swapping a turbo it made me think that can't be the issue. It's possible your vehicle is having the same issue with both turbos.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

let me tell you something I didn't mentioned before, I already clean the vanes at the turbo which were stuck at the time of inspection and I thought this is it problem solved, that's the first thing I tried but to my surprise after turbo disassembly, cleaning and assembly the P0299 was still there after some time idling. After this I've tried everything I mentioned before at my first post with no success.

Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

If you remove the VGT solenoid and clean off the end of the plunger does it make a difference?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the VGT solenoid plunger tip is clean and not sticking

Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

Can you monitor data while the vehicle idled to see what the VGT does?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes I can do that what data do you want me to read?

Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

While idling I would watch the VGT percent and see what it does during warm up and see what it does.