James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

Had a problem with my 2002 Taurus DOHC 2-3 weeks, its feels

Customer Question

Hi Chris - had a problem with my 2002 Taurus DOHC for last 2-3 weeks, its feels like I have a misfire in drive, not in park and it gets worse when I turn on either A/C or heater - BUT NO Engine CODES r/t misfire????? I've changed out the fuel filter (because a bottle of Techron seemed to help for that tank of gas) new IAC, air filter and cleaned the Mass Air Flow Sensor, only slightly better. Put it on the scanner at Advance Auto Parts and it showed ABS code 1484 Brake Pedal Input Open Circuit. Test $2B showed STS = Low and Test $4B showed STS = HI. Also when I was looking for vacuum leaks, I pulled the line off the top of my EGR there's no suction...shouldn't I feel suction into the top of the EGR? I'm lost here - help please
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its feels like I have a misfire in drive "while in idle/stopped" not in park and it gets worse when I turn on either A/C or heater
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

Hello, how many miles are on this vehicle?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
169,000+ miles
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

Slot of times misfiring at idle but clearing up off idle can be one or more wore out spark plugs. Do you have a way to know what cylinders are misfiring?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did you read the rest of my question? How much suction should I be getting into the top of the EGR valve? and the ABS code B1484 and the 2 test results from the code reader, TEST $2B shows STS "LOW" and $4B shows STS "HI"- please tell me what they mean. Plug wires check out good and drop test shows plugs and coil pack or good.
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

If you are referring to the vacuum line on top of the EGR valve it will only have vacuum when the valve is opened. The amount of vacuum varies based on how open the valve should be.

Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

As for the ABS that is a different concern to the engine misfiring. Due the the rules I am supposed to only answer one question. The ABS is considered a different question and I can get in trouble to answering it. A generic answer is you have a bad brake light switch based of what you told me though.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK James no-one wants to get you in trouble - the reason I brought up the ABS code is that I replaced sensor on the brake pedal years ago, when it went bad it prevented the car from even starting. So that sensor has the power to somehow tell the car not to start when its bad - the only way to do that is sending some electric signal - so I have to consider the possibility that if that sensor is faulty/going bad but not quite at the point of failure then that sensor has the ability to interrupt the function the of the engine and maybe cause what seems like a misfire when it's not. The whole process is elimination and since everything else I'm aware of to fix or check is replaced or checks OK I reaching out to experience for this help.As to the 2 test results that showed on the code reader - how do I know if they're a different question or not without knowing what they mean?Am I spending $28 bucks just to get one yes or a no? Or am I asking for help from a trained experienced mechanic? - how many things could a mechanic answer just yes or no to? Or is my situation just not a good fit for this particular service?
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

I believe they want you to pay per question. If you get a membership and somehow it is cheaper. Since I work independently from justanswer. I'm not sure exactly how it works. Is your ABS light on? If they performed the abs test and the brake pedal wasn't pressed but was supposed to be you will get this code. Do the brake lights work? If the brake lights work and the ABS light isn't on there isn't an issue. Since the abs is a primary safety system it will pick up faults almost instantly.