Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

I recently purchased a 2001 ford escape with 102000 miles.

Customer Question

Hi,I'm Mike. I recently purchased a 2001 ford escape with 102000 miles. It has the v-6 auto trans. It seems to run ok and shift ok, but at highway speed of about 55 it seems to up and down shift between high gear and overdrive quite often. Is this normal or not.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

This transaxle is the CD4E 4 speed. If the terrain or throttle pressure are not changing much, it would be odd to shift often from 3rd to 4th and back. It may be a incorrect reading throttle position sensor that a scan tool can monitor. It may be the torque converter clutch slipping. I would drain the trans oil. Add*****it for one day, then drain and fill it again, but this time add a bottle of LUBEGARD. If its the converter, then this should resolve it within 50 miles.

You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.

Thanks Chris