Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech
Experience:  Auto Trans, Drivability and Electrical Specialist
9600325

Today I was driving along with my car in cruise and there

Customer Question

Today I was driving along with my car in cruise and there was nothing. The car was idling with a lot of rpm's because of being in cruise control, but the gear shift was in drive, but it wasn't going. The transmission fluid is good, and good color and there was no sign of any problems previous to this. What went wrong? The 2003 Ford Taurus SW has only 57,000 miles on it. That's why I bought it. It was young and had not been driven hard. I've kept up with upkeep in the year that I've had it. Like I said, in the time that I've had it, I've had no signs of any problems previously. ??????
Category: Ford
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** and thanks for your question.

So at this point the transmission has no engagement in any gear range?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is correct. We have checked fluid levels and color. They are fine, but absolutely no movement when the transmission is engaged in any gear. We had a local small town mechanic look at it, and he said that when we engage the gear shift it does engage or move into the transmission, but nothing else.
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 1 year ago.

Check and record the transmission fluid level after the engine has been off for at least 10 minutes. It should show overfull. Now start the engine and check the fluid again. It should drop down to the normal zone. If it does not drop or only drops slightly then the drive gear in the torque converter for the front pump is stripped out and the pump is not turning. The torque converter will need to be replaced and the pump driveshaft will need to be inspected.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is elemental information. Do you know what's wrong with it or not? and. . . . what? The fluid levels are fine! Is it a computer glitch? Is the transmission totally shot or is there something simple that could have gone on it. It seems as if there would have been some sign if the transmission was bad and going. There had been no slippage, no problems at all!
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 1 year ago.

This is just not a simple fluid level check. The check is to determine if the pump is turning by monitoring the fluid level as described with the engine off and the engine on. If the pump drive gear in the converter is stripped (very common) the check I posted will confirm it. Don't appreciate the attitude - just trying to help

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the attitude, but this way takes too much time, and sometimes things through the computer are a racket and I have a fear of being scammed.. I've made an appointment at a Ford dealership to have it put on the computer to see what's wrong with it. Although there is not a check engine light on, so that may not do any good either. I'm going to try this. I was just hoping for a quick diagnosis, like something jarred loose or some sensor went out or something simple like that. I've had tranny problems before, but there was usually a sign of something going wrong before. Thank you for your time and farewell.
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 1 year ago.

The fluid check routine I outlined is a quick diagnosis. Takes 10 minutes tops. If that check fails then the torque converter will need to be replaced and the shaft inspected while the converter is out.

Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 1 year ago.

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service as you see fit. Rating does not close the question if you have follow up questions. Thanks!