Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

I have a 2004 Ford Taurus. 3.0, Vin U. There's a wire

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Ford Taurus. 3.0, Vin U.
There's a wire leading to an injector pigtail on the front driver's side of the motor. Very thin, maybe 24 gauge. It's in a piece of loom all by itself, and looks like headed to the driver's side of the engine compartment. I have no clue where, and that's my dilemma.
The wire appears to be red with a white stripe.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Is there any way you could get a picture of the wire in question?

Here is the wiring schematic that I'm looking at but I want to make sure we are looking in the right place.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

The PCM harness shows a gray and red wire...

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

If you can't get a picture let me know. I have an 04 Taurus in my fleet coming back from the body shop tomorrow and I can see if I can find the wire you are talking about on it when it comes in.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just took some pictures, as soon as they transfer from my phone to laptop I will add them. It's definitely red with white stripe, and like I said, very thin. I'm not sure which cylinder number is ***** front left (as viewed from the driver's seat) but that's the pigtail where the wire connects. It doesn't appear to be daisy chained out to the other injector connectors.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hopefully these will help
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Those are perfect.

That is fuel injector number 6. Let me look at my diagrams.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm looking at google images of other taurus 3.0 engines and not seeing that wire come out of the injector harness... seems odd.
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

As far as I can tell it goes to the engine control sensor which runs to the battery junction box. The wire coming from the box goes hot in start or run.

I can't find a picture of the battery junction box, just the wiring diagram.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

That same circuit loops across the engine to injector 3. Directly across the engine from injector 6, so back driver side.

I assume it's not running right?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It seems to be running fine. I had to replace the heater hose assembly (behind the engine) and noticed the loose wire on reassembly. I was concerned I broke it while performing the repair.
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

At least it's running ok. I'll get that Taurus in tomorrow and I'll check it out to see where the wire goes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure if there wire in question is at fault, but I spoke a little too soon in regards ***** ***** "running fine". There seems to be a slight misfire, though no check engine light.
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

That taurus never came back from the body shop. I hate to keep you waiting. It should be in tomorrow and I will check it out as soon as possible.

Thanks!