Super Mechanic
Super Mechanic, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  GM, Ford, Chrysler, nissan, mazda...30 years. ASE Master, troubleshooter
2947720

Someone back up into my 2004 f 150, my truck was running but

Customer Question

someone back up into my 2004 f 150 , my truck was running but now will not crank and oil pressure is not registering. Is there a safety device i need to check to reset the vehicle.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Super Mechanic replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site, I will be happy to assist you today.

.

Have you checked the inertia switch?

.

The inertia fuel shutoff (IFS) switch (Figure 76) is used in conjunction with the electric fuel pump. The purpose of the IFS switch is to shut off the fuel pump if a collision occurs. It consists of a steel ball held in place by a magnet. When a sharp impact occurs, the ball breaks loose from the magnet, rolls up a conical ramp and strikes a target plate which opens the electrical contacts of the switch and shuts off the electric fuel pump. Once the switch is open, it must be manually reset before restarting the vehicle.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
where is it located at

Please don’t forget to rate the answer in a positive way, . EVEN IF YOU HAVE A SUBSCRIPTION ****THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID ****

.

It is behind the right side kick panel. Here is a picture of it's location, thanks

.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a8o89l3xl821pee/inertia%20switch.pdf?dl=0

.

**** PLEASE REMEMBER THAT A BAD RATING WILL NOT GIVE YOU AN AUTOMATIC REFUND ***** However there is a 100% satisfaction guarantee.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I press the red button no change

Do you hear the fuel pump come on for 2 seconds when the key is first turned on?

.

Does the engine turn over?

.

Do you know what the fuel pressure is?

.

Have you checked for spark at the plugs?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hear the fuel pump!Nope engine don't turn over / just starter try to engagedDo not know what fuel pressure !Have just a spark at spark plug since will not turn over or cranks.

I see, thanks. Do you know if the engine will turn with a socket on the crankshaft pulley?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Don't know send truck to the shop. First time I experienced a truck get tap on driver bumper and truck will not crank dead silence

There were some issues with the starter terminals, (bad connection) and it is possible that the 'bump' in the left front may have jarred the terminal and it's not making a good connection at the starter. Can you check that or is the truck already being towed?

If for some reason you don’t wish to rate the answer please state in a post that you are happy with the answers and the service I have provided so that I can send it in as a no click rating and get paid for my time, thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well let me see if my mechanic get the same problem being the connection of the starter. Thanks

Ok thanks.

.