A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

We have our sons 2002 ford explorer sport trac truck and s

Customer Question

we have our sons 2002 ford explorer sport trac truck and his keys we moved the car out of our driveway into the street and now when we try to start the car the theft lift comes on and is blinking car will not start battery is fine
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

How many keys do you have for your sons truck?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have 3 keys.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Does it do it to all three keys?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

There is an issue with the PATS key system. The keys for the truck have chips in them and the PATS system needs to see the programmed chip to allow it to start. Something in the truck is not sending the keys chip to the PCM to allow it to start. You will need to have the vehicle tested for trouble codes in the PCM, instrument cluster and the PATS system to isolate the cause of the problem. See if you can get the codes and post them on this page. It will help me narrow down the cause and help me direct you to repairing the problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How would I get the codes?
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

You will need a code reader to get the codes. Start with the PCM (Engine Computer)> Some auto parts stores will rent them out or loan them out.

Get the codes just from that module. Otherwise, you will need a scan tool which are expensive.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does this car have a valet switch that we might need to reset?
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

The PATS key system does not have a valet switch like an alarm system does. This system is to protect the vehicle from being started unless the proper programed keys are present.