chris
chris, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master -Ford senior master-20 years experience
9504203

08 Ford Edge. Was making noise when turning left and

Customer Question

08 Ford Edge. Was making noise when turning left and draining water on pass floor and could hear water when ac or def was on. Today. Fan stopped blowing. There are a lot of needle trees where I park. B4 I bring this to dealer to fix what is this exactly called
Category: Ford
Expert:  chris replied 1 year ago.

your a/c system has an evaporator witch getsvery cold and then the blower motor blows air over it and this cold air comes out the vents to you , when the a/c is on the evaporator gets cold and develops condensation on it , this water drips off of it and the case that holds the evaporator has a drain tube to let this water drip to the outside on to the road , you may have seen this before as your car was sitting for some time with a/c on and water would drip to the rad making a puddle ,

-

sometimes this drain hole can get plugged up and there is no ware for the water to go and the case for the plenum starts to fill up with water and you make aturn and water goes into the cab ,

-

so ifsound like you need a new blower motor and also have the drain for the evaporator cleaned or blown out so the water can come out again form the cas,e

-

we can go back and forth on this page

-

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
plenum
What does this above word mean that you used
Expert:  chris replied 1 year ago.

plenum case is what the evaporator is housed in , its a big black box , the evaporator is in it and it has the drain tube for the water in the case

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On other answers on this site it was not indicated that a new blower motor was needed. It stated it can become full of water and slide/stop fan. Why would I need a new blower motor and what price can I expect to pay for the motor
Expert:  chris replied 1 year ago.

well, if the blower motor stopped working , then it must have been damaged by all the water in the plenum case, its just a guess, it may have just blowen the fuse for it , but in the past I have seen the blower motor has been damaged by the water ,,,if you want to save money when having work done on your car , a little leg work goes a long way, if they look at the car and tell you it needs a blower motor , then call your local auto part store and buy the motor yourself and drop it off at the shop , this will save you money due to the shop will up the price of the part as much as 20-30 %-see link below for price

-

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/search.oap?keyword=blower+motor+&year=2008&make=Ford&model=Edge&vi=1441680

-

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
By my left foot on the side there is a small panel that has a wire connected to it and black button on exterior. It keeps flapping off. What is this? A fuse box?
Expert:  chris replied 1 year ago.

SOUND LIKE SOME KIND OF AFTER MARKET ALARM PART, but if you look at ware we are typing , there is a icon of a paper clip , you can use this icon to send me a picture of it and then I can get a better look at it

-

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can't right now at work. Doesn't look like after market at all.
Expert:  chris replied 1 year ago.

well get back to me when you can , this page will stay open for days and you can get right back on it , and when you get some time send me a pic

-

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm in central time. What times is this communication avail?
Expert:  chris replied 1 year ago.

its open 24/7 and I am on and off it throughout the day , I am in AZ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank u. Also I just priced blower motor. What Amt of time can I expect to be charged by ford dealer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  chris replied 1 year ago.

I work at a Ford dealer in AZ, and we charge about 1.0 to 1.5 hours to test and replace a blower motor , that's about $150 to $200

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I still have a/c and heat. On high blower barely blows. Fuse isn't blown. My floor is still getting wet but no left turn noise or water swishing. I looked from the diagrams for that hose underneath to try and unplug. Could not find it do u have an actual photo of this hose?
Expert:  chris replied 1 year ago.

the blower motor resistor is also located in the plenum case and can short out due to water in the case, it should be located close to ware the blower motor was, it looks like this , see link

-

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/search.oap?keyword=blower+motor+resistor&year=2008&make=Ford&model=Edge&vi=1441680

-

as far as the drain hose , its not like a actuale hose, its just a very short tube that protrudes out of the fire wall or floor pan so water can drip out to the ground , it only comes out of the cab about one inch and is on the fire wall , pass side, you can see it if you get under the car on the right side , use a flash light and look at the fllor pan or fire wall starting from the center of the cab to the right and there should be a little plstic tub sticking out of the cab about 1/2 diameter ,