Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

I have a 1987 ford f-150, 6 in line, 6.9 and 300. How do I

Customer Question

I have a 1987 ford f-150, 6 in line, 6.9 and 300. How do I set the manual Ming after replacing the dist.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your question, are you trying to line up the distributor and set timing?

Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

The correct way to set the timing is tap the engine over till #1 cylinder is at top dead center on the compression stroke, once you see the paper towel blow out, take a break bar and socket and turn the harmonic balancer by hand to line the timing pointer up at 0 degrees on the pulley with the timing pointer which is top dead center. Once you have the blancer set, drop the distributor in with the rotor pointed at #1 on the cap and you now have base timing set.